BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Friday 20 March 2015

Thai hair cut and a beautiful gift.

Putting the whole Cambodia incident behind me unfortunately required a fair bit of time and a lot of drinking.

But I'm back to training now. Currently only training once a day as my cardio is so bad and the smoke in the air is a real problem. But as I keep saying "Rome wasn't built in a day". Feels good to hit pads again, and now I have fought I am seen differently at the gym. One of the old guard almost. Trusted to show beginners the ropes, demonstrate techniques and lead the abs class. Ae (Bee's brother and head Thai fighter trainer) has taken an interest in me since my return and now singles me out to make sure he holds pads for me when he can. Its all 100% power on every strike. You coast and he notices. It's brutal. But amazing he cares enough to develop my Muay Thai by forcing me to elbow and knee so much more than before. Currently I have 2 cuts on my knee where I knee'd his pad and my knee slipped up and caught him in the teeth. It cut my knee and he just laughed it off.


Going and coming back seems to have endeared me to the trainers more as they have all been so nice since I got back. It's probably because I am being more social. Not just doing private lessons and never going out but actually making myself part of the Charn Chai family. It feels good.

Pet, a trainer and most devoted drinking buddy. Who always refers to himself as my bodyguard. Not because he protects me from trouble, but because he always ensures my glass is at least half full. One day whilst training he nipped off on his scooter and came back with this buddha necklace he had bought me. These necklaces are blessed and are seen as both a blessing, protection talisman and bringer of good luck. These are not cheap within the local economy and I treasure it massively.

Pet is at the front with the chest tattoo.

In other news. I went for a hair cut. This is my second haircut in Thailand on this trip BUT I had my iPhone for the last time and was simply able to show the guy an old picture of myself and say 'Same, same.'
With my phone currently in the possession of a Cambodian beach thief I had to rely on gesture and basic Thai. All went pretty well except for when trying to describe how high I would like the blade 2 shave to go. With one hand under the gown I used my free hand with a chopping like motion showing the height on the side of my head he should shave too.
All seemingly understood we progressed at great pace.
However, once he stood away and no longer blocked my view in the mirror it turns out he had thought I meant I wanted a line... a fake parting... shaved into my head where I had pointed.

Oooops.

So I now have a very trendy hair cut with a line shaved in it much like a teenage Thai boy.
It wouldn't be that bad except for the fact one of my trainers Kaew also has the line shaved in and he is 18. I now look like I am stealing style tips from an 18 year old... not a good look at 32.

One saving grace is my line is on the different side to Kaew's... and is massive, thick and not straight. So its more comedy than copying.



Can't remember if I posted about this or not but the young gym guys are going nuts for tattoos at the moment.
Whilst I was away Kong had his entire back done. 12 hours in 3 sittings. His first tattoo. In the picture below it is not finished. But you get an idea for size. The tattooist (Garth from New Zealand) said he sat like a rock. Showed no pain. Scary dude.



No comments:

Post a Comment