BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Fight Week

Its fight week and I have travelled down to Chiang Mai and found a cheap guesthouse for the next few days.

Upon walking out of my guesthouse I noticed the poster advertising Friday's fights. The card I'm fighting on. Really surprised to see some Charn Chai fighters on there that I know are not available to fight... good old thai advertising!

Also on there is Sylvie of the blog '8 Limbs US'. The blog which inspired me to choose Chiang Mai/Pai and to move here to train and fight. Her blog was pretty much the information bible for my trip out here. Everything from where to go, gym politics to injury treatment.
This is a really bizarre coincidence as she no longer lives and fights in Chiang Mai so it is very unusual for her to be back in the north of the country. Looking forward to meeting her and watching her fight live. Hopefully I can grab a ridiculous photo with her... I say ridiculous cause I already know i'll be a giant next to her. Think Sylvie fights at 48kg's... I'm 90...

Unfortunately I didn't make the poster as the promoter did not have a picture of me. I have since been to the stadium, met him and posed for the picture. I doubt they will re-print so i'll probably just be making guest appearances on fight nights I have nothing to do with for the next few months. Ah well, nothing wrong with a little legacy.

As for preparation I have squeezed in a work out at Go Gym just to stay as loose as possible and a little active. That gym is turning into some kind of Ruff Ryders training mecca. Its ace. Such thug workout style.  

Physically I don't feel great. My back is still very stiff and causes me pain if I cough or sneeze. But I'm hoping the pre-fight massage and thai oil will loosen things up and allow me to twist and kick. Failing that I'll just rely on my boxing and some powerful straights to get the job done.

There is also a really strange feeling in my stomach, pressure behind my solar plexus. I have had this tight pressured almost indigestion feeling for the past 2 days. I suspect it's just a physical manifestation of the nerves which is fine as I actually don't feel consciously anxious. I feel pretty relaxed about the fight, just a little nervous about stepping out in front of all those people at the beginning. I really don't like to be centre stage, especially when i don't know what I'm doing. The fight I have trained for but I have no idea about the Wai Kru or what I'm supposed to do about sealing the ring or when. Fear of the unknown. A dress rehearsal of all that would have been useful to answer these questions. As it stands I'll just have to figure it out on the night. So my fight video will probably feature me dropping the Mongkon, walking the wrong way round the ring, tripping over the other fighter and then punching him when the referee brings us to the middle to review the rules and touch gloves.

Ah well... stumble through...


Shopping list for fight supplies:

3 x 25mm Sports tape
Hand Wraps
Gum Shield
Thai Style Metal Cup
Lycra under shorts
Fight Shorts
Thai Oil
Tiger Balm
Vaseline
2 x Ankle Guards
Counter pain gel
Ibuprofen
Bottled water


No comments:

Post a Comment