BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Friday 6 February 2015

Pre-Fight

I arrived at the stadium at 20:30. First fight starts at 21:00... but they are always 30 mins late. Thai time.

I met up with Turbo and the Japanese fighter who is fighting out of Charn Chai (don't know his name), and we went through the check list of kit I was supposed to have with me. Agreed to let Turbo use my stuff because he hadn't brought any (Thai Oil, Vaseline etc). Turbo really could not give a shit, he was so relaxed. Just another day in the office for him. He was just sat on the back of his scooter having a cigarette.

Between the 3 of us there were 3 different languages so conversation wasn't exactly buzzing. But that's fine. I just had so many questions and wanted to get everything straight in my head. But there was no one to ask so I just had to swallow it and wait. I swear I was more nervous about the rituals and the order of things than the actual fighting. I genuinely believed everyone who said once the bell goes you just focus in and everything else goes away. I was really looking forward to that as in that moment waiting in the car park I couldn't shut anything out. I was making eye contact with the audience members and freaking out. I was eyeing up the other fights to see who was big enough that I could fight them. I was watching their pre-fight rituals and worrying that I should be doing the same stuff.

All this resulted in me finding a garden chair. Sitting down. Staring into space. Trying to ignore everything and just breath to relax. Which was probably for the best.

Bami arrived and with him all the answers I had been freaking out about. He got me sorted with the pre-fight doctors check (blood pressure and stethoscope). It wasn't exactly thorough.
Bami explained what would happen when and then found out the fighting order and who I was fighting. It was a Thai name at 85kg's... that's all we knew. I'm 90kg's so I knew I was going to have a size advantage, but knowing he was Thai meant I was at a serious experience disadvantage.
Turbo was up second, Japanese guy third and I was on fifth of a six fight card.
Feels like they roll out the heavyweights at the end of the night regardless of experience because of the freak show element. Plus it keeps other westerners in the crowd drinking, spending, waiting to see their nation represented.

Once the other fighters were ready Bami turned his attention to me and started to wrap my hands. Using tape under and over hand wraps changes the game completely. He turned my hands into hammers. Felt like I could punch through a wall. This gave me great confidence in my boxing. I knew these clubs had it in them to put someone down.



Turbo went out and won his fight by 5 round decision. He was show boating as usual and the crowd loved it.
Once he was back in our corner and changed into his street clothes Turbo and Bami turned their attention to preparing me. They oiled me down and massaged me, warming up all my muscles and loosening me up. Went through the fairly embarrassing act of putting on a Thai cup... or more to the point having it put on me. My arms and back felt good but I didn't get chance to stretch out my legs and hips. Their mobility felt a little stunted.



Japanese guy went out and beat a really good swedish fighter called Tobi by KO. Really good hard fight. I missed most of it due to getting ready but what I did see looked great and the fact he won by KO was really impressive. I've seen Tobi fight twice before and he won by first round KO both times. Tonight wasn't his night and that's great for Charn Chai. So far we were 2 for 2.

Whilst these fights were going on I managed to introduce myself to Sylvie of the blog '8 Limbs US'. We had spoken via twitter on the run up to the fight and it was really great to get to meet her. She probably won't realise what a massive influence on me she has been. Her blog answered all my questions before moving here and it is what made me choose Chiang Mai to move to. Fighting on the same card as her felt like things had come full circle. Whilst Bami was busy cornering the guys Sylvie came over to check on me. I was getting pretty nervous about the pre-fight rituals and how to enter the ring etc. I wanted to show the proper respect but I have never been shown any of it so it was a bit of an unknown to me. Sylvie took the time to talk me through all of the pre-fight rituals and explained their meaning. This helped me visualise what I was supposed to do and also passed the time as my fight approached without me really noticing. Stood there with Sylvie I felt like a bit of a fan boy, don't think she noticed but I was wearing custom shorts which are essentially a complete rip off of the shorts she had made for Phetjee Jaa. Camo with gold writing. In my defence it's because I was running late and when at the shorts shop there was too much to choose from so I just said I liked what Sylvie had done and wanted similar. Sylvies husband noticed my shorts and we had a little joke about me ripping off her style. Then before you know it. Its go time.





Bami put vaseline on my face, forced the Mongkon onto my massive head and cleaned out my mouth guard. He then told me to walk to the ring bow and pray at the steps then enter over the top rope. Bow to each side of the ring and return to my corner and wait for the referee.

I did as I was told, I have no idea if I did it right but I tried and thats got to be worth something.

The referee came over checked I had a cup and mouth guard on. Checked my gloves (10oz) were appropriate, safe and sealed with tape.
Next the music starts and I walk a lap of the ring praying at each corner and sealing the ring before returning to my corner to wait whilst my opponent completes his Wai Kru Ram Muay. The ceremonial dance to honour his teacher and camp.

Once completed we are called back to centre of the ring for final instructions from the referee (in Thai!?). We hug and wish each other good luck in the fight then return to our corners to pray for blessing and protection with our coach. We pray then remove the Mongkon hanging it in our corner. Then mouth guard in and final instructions from the coach before the bell goes.

Turn and face... approach... touch gloves... go time.

No comments:

Post a Comment