BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Monday 14 July 2014

Monster Gym - Essex

Third Space gym was shut again for refurb over the weekend. I get the feeling I really joined this place at the wrong time. Locked into a 12 month contract and after being there about 2 months the builders started and the hording went up. It's not quite the place I had the tour of so many months ago. Sucker for a sales pitch clearly. 

 Rather than be idol I travelled out to join my mate Darrol at his gym in Essex. The place is a proper bodybuilders gym.


 Everyone was bloody massive and the weights they were pushing were huge. Having not done any resistance/weights training in months I felt a little ridiculous walking in there. All the kit is that brand 'Hammer Strength'... so it all looks like it would be better suited as functional rigging at a factory. Throw in the chrome chains dotted around the floor and it falls somewhere between an S&M dungeon and a dockyard. 

 All that aside Darrol took me through his arms routine for an hour and half. Actually felt good to have the different kind of muscle fatigue. Burn out rather than wear down. I actually feel pretty good about working more resistance stuff into my training week. I think the key is AVOID THE MACHINES! They are convenient yes, but they dont feel right. Using the free weights and the preacher bench was a new challenge. Focusing on form rather than just increasing weight engages the brain just enough that it wasnt mind bendingly dull. I think having a training partner makes a big difference as well. All in all a really good session and my arms still feel a little tight today. It's a good feeling. 

 We had planned to take advantage of the gyms 'Combat Center'... turns out they have a boxing ring, cage and various bags all upstairs. Really well equipped to be fair. BUT... by the time we had finished with the weights the gym was about to shut. I managed to throw a few kicks into the heavy bag and give Darrol a dead leg through a kick shield. But then it was time to bail. Kicking the heavy bag was very sore on my shin and the top of my foot. My legs are really not ready for what i'm about to put them through. I had been drilling the heavy bag at my gym in the hope of getting my skin a little more used to the process but they (the gym) took the bag away for 'repair' weeks ago and have not returned it. I get the feeling the boxing coaches didnt like the kickboxers using it and have just got rid to avoid us making noise near their classes. 
It's very frustrating, and kicking this bag brought home how quickly it becomes painful again to throw power if you dont keep on top of your bag drills. Time to email the gym and chase its return.


Once I had got home, sorted out the next set of Air BnB guests and had some food I decided to go for a run. When you have no Saturday night plans it makes it a hell of a lot easier to choose to go running. Even after the weight session managed to keep a good pace and broke the 5min per Km mark. I know it's not fast... But it felt like I held a good consistent pace. Left knee is paying the price today though.


No comments:

Post a Comment