BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Friday 4 July 2014

Thursdays Training - Superman punches and kick catches.

Another small class with Rob from KO. These Thursday lunch time sessions in the ring are great. Good amount of people, get to work in the ring enviroment with the ropes and Rob is always nearby to ask questions. 

 It's not as physically draining as the Tuesday session but I feel I benefit way more in being able to practice the technqiues and ask questions about foot placement and weight ditribution straight away. Less self analysis, or practicing with bad form. All hail the small class size! 

 We drilled left hook right power body kick as a conditioning exercise and to build muscle memory. Once practised we added in a fake to right cross, and a fake to superman punch. 
The foot placement for the right cross proved really difficult. Grounding yourself to generate power so soon after faking a kick highlighted I was leaning too far forward when striking and need a stronger, straighter core. Need to strike from a strong column rather than throwing my weight into everything. Believe it or not... i should stand up straighter. So 'C' shaped spin but higher and more on the balls of my feet.

 If i dont correct this my combinations will leave me so exposed at point of exit. I have a bad habit of 'admiring' my work after a power shot. 

 Kick block and catch drills were good, nice to work them without shin guards and gloves. Forced me to improve my arm position post catch (knuckles up to the sky and hips forward) as opposed to just trapping the foot and trying use power or forward charging motion to maintain control. Clearly it's the nerves of being kicked but once we started mixing up where the kicks came from i found myself stepping toward the kicking leg i.e. once i recognised which leg was kicking i was so focused on the catch I actually stepped or leant into the kick. This is gonna hurt at power. Think I need to relax so i can identofy the kick but process correctly and step away from the apex of the power yet still catch. 
Clearly too eager and paniced. Needs a lot more drilling. I need to be calmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment