BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Monday 1 September 2014

Shin splints vs bone bruising

4 weeks ago during a more heavy sparring session I threw a right kick which was very nicely checked with the end of my opponents knee.

I was wearing fairly heavy duty shin guards. But I felt it at the time and thought "doh, that's gonna swell up".

It did.

But now it's 4 weeks later and my shin is still giving me pain in that specific spot. It feels like there is a dent in my shin. There is  very minor redness at the exact spot but otherwise all looks good.

I have been running and training as usual. With no pain, With one exception, every time I throw a right kick against pads or a bag I get a shooting sharp pain from that exact spot.

I have done some pad work and sparred through the pain but the injury recovery seems to have plateau'd. 4 weeks on I really didn't expect this to be lingering.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the injury could be?

Does it sound like shin splints?
Or just a deep bruise?

What is the recommended treatment? 
Can I still road run or should I be staying off it?

Any help would be massively appreciated as it is really effecting my training and with Thailand looming I really want to get on the road and run. 
But I'm being told shin splints, and that I'll just keep making it worse if I don't stay off it. Which is the hardest advice to take.

Sean/Sylvie - if your out there - any advise?

2 comments:

  1. I always suffered from shin splints when i started running, but I carried on running without seeking medical advice and they went away. I have never suffered since....may just have been lucky.

    You could try taking the weight/impact away by using a bicycle or, better still go to the pool and use a float to perform kicking drills to power your way through the water. Very low impact but incredibly tough.

    Oli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Oli, so glad your checking in on this!

      I was going to buy flippers and focus on the swimming to give me shins a rest.
      Then bare foot I kicked a table leg and now have a purple piglet. Pretty sure it's broken. So not having the best of luck right now.

      Just gonna go back to doing weights for the next few days before getting running again.

      The more research I do the more I'm convinced I just have a deep shin bruise. Spoke with a fighter and he said they can take 8 weeks to fully heal.

      Delete