BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Wednesday 24 September 2014

Shin treatment - pool jets

I had a prolonged shin bruise. Mentioned in earlier posts.

What I thought was a gooey dent in my shin was actually just the space between two deep bruises.

Kicking pads or bags was painful even through shin guards. I used tiger balm, Thai oil, and a ton of ibuprofen but the bruises were still around 4 weeks later.

I started to worry it was actually shin splints cause by Tarmac running or impact trauma from sparring.

After a little online research I put my mind at ease that it wasn't a bone issue and was just a deep bruise.

Here is where the tip comes in:

If you have prolonged shin bruising that won't go away.
Find a swimming pool or jacuzzi. Identify the most powerful water jet and use it to massage your shins.

I found this super powerful water jet in a pool recently and using it like an iron I just slowly moved my shins up and down it for about 15 mins twice a day. After 3 days the swelling that had been there for 6 weeks by then was gone and the shin was no longer tender to touch.

So whether it be a broom handle, a trainers elbow or a water jet in a pool. The key thing seems to be get that inflammation moving and increase blood flow to the area.

Worked a treat.

1 comment:

  1. I do that, when you do your front hip and quad and have to face the jet and it feels so good you moan, people look at you funny.

    ReplyDelete