BruisedShin Title Banner

BruisedShin Title Banner

Monday 30 June 2014

Recent runs. Lower back problems again.

Fortunately today I have another randomly scheduled appointment with the NHS physio at lunch time. 

The last week I have found it really uncomfortable to get out and road run.

The classes have been OK so it doesnt feel like an inury. It's just when I start to run after about 1km i start to feel tension build in my lower back. I can feel it building slowly but consistantly until about the 3km mark where I just can't run anymore. 

The whole lower lumbar region across both sides feels so tense and stiff. I stop and stretch and try and shake it off but the moment i start running again each footstep impact on the ground seems to stiffen it back up in exactly the same way. 

Don't think its the shoes. Maybe its my running technique. Maybe I'm just too heavy. 

When I get home I foam roller the hell out of my back and legs so I dont think its residual mucsle tightness or fatigue.

I will discuss with the physio today and post her advice. I suspect she is going to say it's a lack of core strength that is putting too much stress on my back. Time to get planking again. Biomechanics is such an interesting topic.

3 comments:

  1. So I have now come back from the physio appointment. The videos above still remain helpful and informative so i'll leave them there but the physio has said my problem stems from having weak core muscles and a lack of co-ordination/balance in my lower back as opposed to an injury or a stiff muscle group.
    She gave me a load of exercises to do for the next 6 weeks. They are all bodyweight based and not related to strength, rather teaching your brain to engage the correct muscles when needed.

    Exercises to do:
    1 legged knee bends, bridge, bridge and extend 1 leg, get on hands and knees and extend 1 leg then add alternate arm.

    I need to do these to strengthen the muscles supporting my lower back by holding these positions for 5 to 10 seconds.

    Once again more evidence Yoga would really help me.

    here are some short videos to illustrate the positions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuScgzVJp-s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pmknfjq89U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you considered shifting to a more 'barefoot' running style. I'm not sure it's for everyone (what is) and the debate still rages between those that do and those that don't but a lot of people really swear by it and when you think about it, the mechanics involved - some suspension vs none - makes sense..

      Delete
  2. I discussed barefoot/forefront running with the physio when choosing running shoes and I get what you're saying, limit the pounding impact as best you can.
    Problem is being big and heavy the stress transfers from your knees to your hips and lower back. Fact is running on tarmac is just hard on the body. Having supportive and cushioned shoes was the right way for me. I did try the vibram's when running solely on treadmills and they were good, forced me to forefront run only causing minor calf/achilles tendon pain when i over did it.But there is no way i could have done the distances i am currently doing in them, especially on tarmac.

    Realistically I'm 31 and going from zero running to any was always going to cause back ache. Now its just try and oidentoify and strengthen to fight it off.

    The physio exercises will help and i am now 100% convinced I need Yoga in my weekly schedule. Now gotta try and find the time!

    ReplyDelete